[Development] Abandoning the container changes

joao.abecasis at nokia.com joao.abecasis at nokia.com
Thu Jul 19 01:27:56 CEST 2012

André Pönitz wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 07:06:55AM +0000, joao.abecasis at nokia.com wrote:
>> I think it would be feasible to do a binary-only break somewhere
>> around the 5.2 timeframe (say, ~12 months) where we address this.
>> Technically, this would be Qt 6, but user porting effort would be
>> reduced to a recompile.
>
> That's essentially option (D) with a somewhat longer lead time.

Somewhat. If it's a binary break we should still call it Qt 6.

I'm thinking we should get 5.0 out, use 5.1 to stabilize, react to
feedback and generally (im)prove on the Qt 5 vision. Some container
changes sneaked in, but they're not what we're trying to deliver *now*.

In parallel, we actually write the container changes everyone's up in
arms about (Thiago's changes are unfinished and not-fully-published work
in progress), we review those changes, take them for a spin, kick the
hell out of those tires and then make an informed decision whether it is
worth the binary break and how to handle it, in case it is.

Besides autotests coverage, we also have no benchmarks showing
improvements. I assume we can see improvements for the inlining of size
and offset/data in iteration benchmarks, but we haven't fully explored
the impact of *growing* the size of the container itself.

Anyway, we can discuss potential options now, but we can't make any
decisions and can hardly make commitments, other than than "let's do the
container changes and release them when they're ready".

Cheers,

João