[Development] Abandoning the container changes

joao.abecasis at nokia.com joao.abecasis at nokia.com
Fri Jul 20 03:30:38 CEST 2012

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> As you've shown, we need to duplicate everything that has QString,
> QByteArray and QVector in our API.

Not to forget QList, QVariant and potentially other classes we haven't
considered changing yet.

Besides, I'm sure we'd find places where we can't decide which one is
the canonical version, like signals, and be forced to emit both
variations. And this is just scratching the surface.

Assuming Qt keeps some data internally by itself, no matter what the API
looks like, conversion costs would still be there.

> Close to impossible.

Oh, no. It's very possible. It's just not going to happen.

We might as well have Qt50 and Qt52 and let the user pick one.
Essentially, we're back at Qt5 and Qt6 with different names.

João