[Development] Partial screen updates with Scenegraph

Andreas Aardal Hanssen andreas at hanssen.name
Fri Jul 20 14:14:33 CEST 2012

2012/7/20 Uwe Rathmann <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de>

> On 07/20/2012 12:32 PM, Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:
> > Partial update support doesn't help for applications that don't _need_
> > it, rather. And high-end mobile phones where there's enough CPU and GPU
> > power for the UI, which is the focus of QML 2 and the SceneGraph, don't
> > need it.
> What about using regular desktop applications remotely ( X11, NX, VNC
> ... ), where the network bandwidth is a limiting factor. F.e. in home
> office environments you sometimes run UIs over DSL ( or even slower ).
> Isn't QML 2 the recommended API for desktop applications too ?

I think it's really important for any desktop GUI to allow efficient
desktop sharing like that. But good sharing technologies don't rely on
partial update support in each and every application.

Generally speaking, applications based on transferring graphical content
over the network like that are split into two parks: (1) Those who rely on
expose events from the gui app to optimize traffic and (2) those who use
proper video encoders / that send compressed delta updates by comparing
frames. The latter supports everything, the former is, IMO, really
inefficient and should be a thing of the past.

I think partial update support is really about the local device's
capabilities.

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen