[Development] QFileSystemWatcher and Recursive Monitoring

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 22:43:04 CEST 2012

<snip, please share thoughts on QFileSystemWatcher (maybe
monitor-recursive) >

> As you say, applications which are watching (possibly large) directory
> trees will likely
> have their own database of content which they will compare any changes
> to.  The app
> can optimize this in domain-specfic ways, such as not recording any
> information about
> types of files it doesn't care about.

I'd like to kind-of-disagree here:  IDEs like QtCreator or
any-other-developer-IDE would need to monitor large directory trees, and
may not rely upon their own databases.  It would be nice to have this
recursive-monitoring for things like build-system-daemons.  The goal is
"central-notification-from-many-large-file-system-roots", and that seems
like a fairly useful abstraction that could be used by many
application-specific tools.

Really good work, IMHO, comparing about the cross-platform issues.  Bummer
about the Mac.  It would be curious if that were to change going-forward
(as the future is larger hard drives, and more reliance upon files as
everybody goes SSD-fast).

I'd *prefer* a "QFileSystemWatcherRecursive" implementation, even if it
could not be cross-platform (e.g., problems on the Mac).  I understand why
that's not preferred -- we want to get away from system-specific anomaly.
Mostly, I'd hope that over time, there would be a technical solution to get
it working on the Mac, but at least let people could start using it on
Windows/Linux.

I could be talked out of this, though.

Just my $0.02.

--charley