[Development] QFileSystemWatcher and Recursive Monitoring

Arvid E. Picciani aep at exys.org
Sat Jul 21 13:03:30 CEST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:39:32 +0300, Konstantin Ritt wrote:
>> I would prefer that QFSW was simple and reliable and doesn't attempt
>> to impose a heavy cost or internal complexity (which translates into
>> bugs) for things that the underlying APIs do not really support
> Same opinion here.
> Since we could get a good solution for windows only, the
> QRecursiveFileSystemWatcher class goes to be not really
> cross-platform.

not much user code needed, if you just follow the signal suggestions
from Robin.

void onWatcherPathCreated(const QString &path) {
watcher.addPath(path);}

the rest can be default implementations without performance cost (e.g.
unwatch on delete)

the real culprit is
http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qfilesystemwatcher.html#directoryChanged
which leads to a lot of ugly code in the signal handler, crying for a
better api.
It's also wrong, sometimes firing at pretty bad timing because the
semantics of what actually changed are lost.