[Development] QFileSystemWatcher and Recursive Monitoring

logic.cpp logic.cpp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 04:51:05 CEST 2012

So - are you suggesting that Qt file-system monitoring facilities
should actually generate an in-memory snapshot of the necessary
directory tree(s) for platforms that need it (in this case Mac OSX <=
Snow Leopard) ?

Hey I'm not against, it would be really easy to implement. But you
should really try testing something like this yourself on your
computer first. It's /really/ memory consuming as well as /really/
time consuming for large trees of stuff, fairly common nowadays in
anyone's photo/music/video/doc etc. collection. Sure we can alleviate
the time-consuming part with a worker thread, but I'm telling you this
is quite a hunk of resources you're signing off Qt to consume for a
possibly large percentage of use cases (many many people out there
have <= Snow Leopard).

BTW d3fault are you on IRC? What's your handle & timezone, maybe we
can chat about this more.

-regedit

P.S. Just on a personal note, the reason I got caught up in all this
to begin with was some application I wanted to develop. My particular
project involves a snapshot of the file system anyway, so in my
particular case on MacOSX<=Snow Leopard I would definitely just obtain
directory-level information from FSEvents and proceed to compare the
directory's contents with that of my existing snapshot.
In fact if Qt is gonna do a whole in-memory snapshot as d3fault
suggests for this situation, I'm considering dropping this whole QFSW
campaign and just roll out my own solution :)
How about we offer a choice to the programmer whether they want Qt to
do the internal snapshot (perhaps the default) or not?