[Development] QFileSystemWatcher and Recursive Monitoring

Sylvain Pointeau sylvain.pointeau at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:49:29 CEST 2012

On Jul 23, 2012 7:51 PM, "logic.cpp"
<logic.cpp at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'logic.cpp at gmail.com');>>
wrote:

> > So - are you suggesting that Qt file-system monitoring facilities
> > should actually generate an in-memory snapshot of the necessary
> > directory tree(s) for platforms that need it (in this case Mac OSX <=
> > Snow Leopard) ?
> >
> > Hey I'm not against, it would be really easy to implement. But you
> > should really try testing something like this yourself on your
> > computer first. It's /really/ memory consuming as well as /really/
> > time consuming for large trees of stuff, fairly common nowadays in
> > anyone's photo/music/video/doc etc. collection. Sure we can alleviate
> > the time-consuming part with a worker thread, but I'm telling you this
> > is quite a hunk of resources you're signing off Qt to consume for a
> > possibly large percentage of use cases (many many people out there
> > have <= Snow Leopard).

I really like the idea of 1 signal and use the best as possible of each OS.
I am against Qt to make a snapshot of the directory because it will not be
done efficiently, means that this code, to be efficient, depends on the
task to achieve, and there is probably a ton of optimisations that we can
apply in a particular context.

Maybe create a separate to provide a helper of creating a snapshot? In this
case I would suggest using a sqlite database and not the memory. Memory is
definitly a showstopper.