[Development] Experimental Qt 5 installers by Digia

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Tue Jul 31 11:02:42 CEST 2012

On Jul 31, 2012, at 10:49 AM, ext Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> On terça-feira, 31 de julho de 2012 09.53.52, Olivier Goffart wrote:
>> On Tuesday 31 July 2012 09:18:13 Thiago Macieira wrote:

>>> That won't work. Because of the ICU dependency, our binaries no longer
>>> work
>>> across many distros. They will work on one distro only, or at most the
>>> distros of the same era (e.g. Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora 17, which were
>>> released close together; 11.10 and F16, etc.)
>>
>> Then we need to put ICU in our binaries.
>> (compile it statically for example)
>> Just like we do for libpng
>
> Doesn't webkit require it too?

Yes it does. We still have a problem because this means we'll need a different Qt binary for every single distribution out there. We might also get incompatibilities between different Mac OS X version.

This is especially bad for people who would like to ship their own version of Qt with their application.

On the other hand we do need ICU, I don't consider it a good idea to go back and do it all ourselves.

So one solution would be to go back and dlopen and check for different major version numbers. But then we should be doing the same in WebKit.

Cheers,
Lars