[Development] Proposed solution to the ICU problem

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jul 31 15:05:04 CEST 2012

On terça-feira, 31 de julho de 2012 14.25.26, Björn Breitmeyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am a bit confused now, will ICU be hard dependency on 5.0 instead of 5.1?
> As i already mentioned we are having problems with a hard ICU dependency
> for WindowsCE as its not supported by the ICU buildsystem.

It already is.

> Will ICU become  part of the 3rdparty repo with a more cross platform
> friendly buildsystem? As of know its a huge linux configure script and i
> was unable to even generate my own visual studio solution with the proposed
> cygwin setup. The only way to get a working windows build is use the
> shipped sln file which requires a new visual studio.

I think we could do that. But the solution we proposed was to use a shared
library, a standard build, not included into QtCore. Using Qt's 3rdparty
system would mean building it into QtCore and that won't solve QtWebKit's
problem.

> In general i don't know  how open the ICU guys are to new platforms. But i
> see this as a larger problem for porting qt to a non unix platform.
>
> I get the reason why ICU is a good idea for supported platforms, but is
> there a reason to enforce it on all platforms?

Yes. We don't want to continue or begin to carry our own Unicode data, CLDR
and timezone database. ICU provides all of that.

It solves the problem of encodings, timezones, locale, collation and Unicode.