[Development] FW: [Marketing] Planning Qt 5 launch

quim.gil at nokia.com quim.gil at nokia.com
Mon Jun 4 20:16:19 CEST 2012

Below you can find the email just sent to the [Marketing] list to begin the planning of the Qt 5 launch. If you want to contribute with demos, code examples and other materials please join that list. We won't be cross-posting here (except for exceptional exceptions).  :)

***

Hi,

By the launch of Qt 5 we hope to see a great collection of videos, demos, example applications, code samples and tutorials that all focus on what we see as being the key technical benefits of Qt 5. Everybody is encouraged to join the effort, contributing directly or aligning your own activities.

Together with Lars Knoll and Daniel Kihlberg, we have come up with this proposed list of key technical benefits of Qt 5 (in order of importance, example keywords added):

1. Graphics features & performance, easy to develop and deploy - OpenGL, Wayland, particles & shaders, effects, 3D...

2. Performance on constrained hardware - mobile, embedded, Raspberry Pi...

3. Cross-platform & easier to port to new platforms - Qt Platform Abstraction, QNX, RTOS, non-reference platforms...

4. Qt and HTML5 - Qt WebKit, Web development, JavaScript, JSON, hybrid, PhoneGap, JQuery Mobile...

5. Qt's ease of use - QML, Qt Creator, emulator, packaging, deployment on device, documentation, community &  commercial support...

6. Porting and compatibility from Qt 4 to Qt 5 - "Your current code recompiled should just work", "Run the script and you are done"...

As you can see, this is a consolidation of the topics we already highlighted in the Alpha release.

In order to have a crisp and focused message on Qt 5 launch day, the announcement and materials promoted will hav a focus on these topics. If you have something in mind or in your hands that can contribute to this, please let us know. Your suggestions and proposals are welcome!

Keep an eye on http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-release-marketing and the [Marketing] list to follow the progress and get involved. Next steps include the agreement on the list of demos and tutorials we want to assure by the Qt 5 launch day.

--
Quim