[Development] Becoming a Tier 1 platform and the CI System

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 6 13:22:21 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 6 de junho de 2012 11.46.18, Sean Harmer wrote:
> What other gates do we also have to pass to promote QNX to Tier 1?

The major target is that, at release time, you're able to confidently say that
this platform is working properly and all the showstopper issues (as judged by
the release testing) have been fixed. This, in turn, requires that there are
people testing that platform at release time and can report issues. If no one
tests, we'll have zero out of zero fixes and we can't give the Tier 1 label out
of a division by zero :-)

Being in the CI system is just one of the common ways of achieving that. If
you can compile and run unit tests on that platform at every commit, it helps
avoiding them at release time. But it's not strictly necessary: it might be
acceptable to run the unit tests at release time and say they're passing,
along with the rest of the release testing. I wouldn't recommend this, though.

I don't know the technical details on how to integrate with the current CI
system. But the first thing you're going to need is to have some way for the CI
manager to tell you "test this SHA-1 / build number[1]" and then you have to
report back a pass or fail, with the logs. Are you able to do that already?

[1] the commit that a build IDs refers to can be obtained from the Gerrit
repository