[Development] Code of conduct.

joao.abecasis at nokia.com joao.abecasis at nokia.com
Fri Jun 22 09:44:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

As others have pointed out, a "Code of Conduct" or just some general
netiquette guidelines [1] we can point people at may be a good thing. But it
doesn't end there. We can already reply to such posts saying "This is
unacceptable behaviour in this list". Equally as important, is to otherwise
avoid participating in discussions where the tone is disrespectful -- "Tone it
down, then we'll read it" -- a.k.a Don't Feed The Troll (tm).

Banning members or actively moderating posts takes effort and is something I'm
not sure we need yet. I do think we need to ensure the environment is
friendly, welcoming and respectful. Discussions should focus on technical
arguments, empirical data and well-toned opinions. The occasional rant is ok,
if it's just that. I've seen many rants turned by others into actually useful
discussions.

In the end, it's on us the community to stop Bad Behaviour when we see it,
even if we don't (yet?) have a Code of Conduct in place.

Cheers,

João

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette