[Development] App name in window title

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jun 22 15:24:48 CEST 2012

On Thursday 21 June 2012 23:41:12 Mark wrote:
> So: it's only being set afaict when setWindowTitle from QWidget is
> called otherwise it's the executable name minus extension.

Thanks. Found that code in qwidget_win.cpp in Qt4. That's just fallback to
avoid empty titles though, it doesn't touch titles set by the user indeed.

> There's no common standard for other windows on mac.

OK, so this leaves two options.

* Doing this only on X11 : http://www.davidfaure.fr/2012/caption.diff
Tested, works.

* Doing this on all 3 desktop platforms, for more consistency among all Qt
applications, and consistency between platforms for a given Qt application.
This prevents the risk that a Windows Qt developer does setWindowTitle("foo -
KMail"), i.e. adds the app name himself in the title, and ends up with "foo -
KMail - kmail" on X11.

It seems to me that the second solution is better.

Brad wrote:
> Do it in QPlatformWindow.
Did you mean in the XCB specific subclass, like I did above? (thanks for the
hint)
Or did you mean in the base class itself, by separating the virtual method
from the public method, to have the add-the-app-name logic before calling the
platform-specific implementation?