[Development] Notes from QtNetwork sessions

Rohan McGovern rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Tue Jun 26 01:34:47 CEST 2012

shane.kearns at accenture.com said:

> * Autotests
>   * Non-significant
>   * Not compiled

What is meant by "not compiled"?

>   * Dependency on the test server
>   * eg. QNetworkReply has too many tests they should be broken up
>   * Some tests should be recognised as possible to fail, unit tests should not
>     fail. CI can be smarter if it knows which is which.
>   * Separate executables for each so they can have differing retry strategies.

Breaking up tests with a long runtime into smaller test executables
helps in several ways ... it allows each subtest to be retried
individually if necessary, and may allow them to be run in parallel as well.
It's a good idea.

I saw some chat on IRC about, I think, grouping the tests into different
directories to classify their expected stability.  If you want to go
down that route then I think it would be better to introduce a new hint
to the CI system at http://qt-project.org/wiki/CI_Autotest_Metadata ,
rather than making it depend on the directory layout.