[Development] qt 4/5 co-installs

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 27 09:17:09 CEST 2012

On terça-feira, 26 de junho de 2012 22.12.34, Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
> My reasoning for renaming tools and libraries was relatively
> straightforward: They are not backward compatible and thus shouldn't
> be given the same since Qt4 and Qt5 will have to live together for a
> long time. Qt4 and Qt5 should be able to exist in user's PATH
> simultaneously.
>
> > But I don't see why the libraries need to be renamed. The sonames are
> > different already. Most development software does not support installing
> > the development files of two different major versions at the same time,
> > in the same prefix.
> Is that true? gtk2 and gtk3 seems to reside together on my ubuntu 12.04.

You're confusing the development files with the files that users need to run the
applications. The library files can already be installed side-by-side.

> As you say, one solution is to have distros package the Qt4 and Qt5
> libs with different prefix as /usr/lib/qt4 and /usr/lib/qt5. Certainly
> makes it easy for us but I guess there is a reason why all libs are
> stuck under /usr/lib ?

Plugin files and other supporting files need to be in a version-specific prefix.
Think of our non-standard hierarchy like the plugins or imports dir.

The libraries themselves are split into one set of files that are needed to run
applications and another set that are for development only.

libQtCore.so.5 and libQtCore.so.5.0.0 can easily be in the same dir as
libQtCore.so.4 and libQtCore.so.4.8.2.