[Development] qt 4/5 co-installs

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Wed Jun 27 11:41:59 CEST 2012

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:28:18 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> If you really, really, really want to install the two development
> environments in parallel, and considering that we already do need different
> prefixes, I'd say that the .so and .a files (if any) should be in
> $prefix/lib (e.g., /usr/lib/qt5/lib) and symlink to the actual files that
> live in /usr/lib. qmake will have the lib path hardcoded and will add the
> necessary -L;

> cmake gets the information from qmake.

That is true in Qt 4, but not in Qt 5. CMake would need some way of finding
the Qt5CoreConfig.cmake file if both Qt 4 and Qt 5 development files were
installed. That could be a user-issue and not a distro-issue though, as the
easist way to do that is with an environment variable.

The file will already automatically be found if installed to /usr/lib.

> > so changing library names is also not uncommon and allows for
> > developer environments to be co-installed.  The tools are more
> > important because this makes packaging fiddly.  The runtime plugin
> > environment variable $QT_PLUGIN_PATH is most important because the
> > runtime libraries should be co-installable.
>
> I agree on the environment variable. Let's add a version number there.
>
> I said I wasn't going to comment on the tools, but here's one comment: only
> qmake needs to be versioned, since it's the only tool that users run. The
> other ones like moc, uic, rcc, lconvert, lrelease, lupdate, qmlviewer,
> qmlscene can be hidden away in libexec or in $prefix/bin. And designer,

I can imagine wanting to be able to run both Qt 4 and Qt 5 designer.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer