[Development] QtCS: OpenGL session notes

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Wed Jun 27 19:14:56 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 27 June 2012 16:30:50 marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com wrote:
> On 25/06/2012 13:44, ext Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
> > Future plans
> > - Desktop OpenGL 3+ support, ES 3 support
>
> We've just added ANGLE support in Qt (-angle <dir>), to enable DirectX
> usage instead of OpenGL ES 2 on Windows, due to many buggy drivers.

You mean for embedded flavours of Windows right? OpenGL 3+ works fine on
desktop windows - although getting hold of a Core Profile context on Windows
via Qt was broken last time I tried it (but that was some months ago).

> How will this effort affect this usage?

The same way it will affect those platforms that only support OpenGL ES2 I
guess - they just won't use the new features/capabilities.

> Will we actively contribute to the ANGLE project, to ensure it's usable
> when we extend our use of OpenGL?
>
> It would be bad for end users if they rely on ANGLE and we change the
> OpenGL backend to use functionality not covered by ANGLE in the next
> version, making migration to the next version of Qt impossible.
>
> What is the timeline for OpenGL 3+ support, and when is OpenGL ES 3
> scheduled for release?

It is possible to use OpenGL 3 (or even 4) on the desktop right now just that
Qt does not yet wrap the new features.

OpenGL ES 3 is scheduled for release "soon" which translates to probably
sometime this year. It is supposed to reduce the delta between desktop OpenGL
and OpenGL ES.

Cheers,

Sean
--