[Development] Notes from the QWidget session

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Wed Jun 27 21:44:32 CEST 2012

Hi!

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012, Thorbjørn Martsum wrote:

> I do think that it would be a very good idea to have a QtWidget
> maintainer. Not because Girish isn't a good approver (since he obviously
> is) - but in order to ensure that people sees QtWidgets as alive. One of
> the reasons people consider Qt Widgets as dead (and can argue that they
> are) - is the lack of a maintainer(!) - and it would be far easier to
> spread the word about QtWidgets if we had a such.

Yes. And to be realistic: a single maintainer won't be enough. It's a lot
of different fields that might need to be distributed on several
shoulders. So even if some individual or company steps up one has to be
fair and rather help than demanding too much.

> But of course the Widgets are still alive - and Stephen Kelly is also
> helping improving the Item Views in Qt Widgets - and afaik there has
> been some nice fixes. To brag a bit I have (with his help) improved
> QHeaderView so that TableViews can handle many data and unlike Qt4 do
> moveSection, swapSection(s), hideSection and trunc of model reasonable
> fast. (Hopefully without any regressions:) )

Nice to hear.

> However - the above is actually not just to brag. It is to give an
> example of something that has been improved. We need to show and know(!)
> about QtWidgets progress. It is easy to state: "Qt is alive" - but
> someone could ask ... "why?". (And the reason 'it wasn't killed is not
> enough ...). So if people knows about big (or many) improvements to
> QtWidgets - it could be a good place and time to speak up.

Right. That was the main message we wanted to bring across. To state that
a positive feedback loop rather than a negative self-fulfilling prophecy
is needed and doable.

> So here is a good chance for people to give credit to themselves (or others)
>
> Btw. Is somebody looking into the regressions in QGraphicsView?

As Marius already hinted at: it's needed. But given the complexity no easy
job. A full-time job maybe.

Harri.