[Development] Notes from the QWidget session

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Fri Jun 29 14:38:38 CEST 2012

On 06/29/2012 09:04 AM, gunnar.sletta at nokia.com wrote:

> I see a people having a certain technology, say charting, which is encapsulated in a QWidget, and it should be possible to integrate those technologies into QtQuick 2.0.

In fact this is not a good example as the code for displaying charts is
usually QPainter ( or QGView ) based - and doesn't rely on QWidget much.
As long as there is the bridge between QPainter and the scene graph
there is not much code that would be lost. Binding this code to QML is a
different story, but why should someone do this ?

Much more important is all the code, that has been written to modify the
standard Qt widgets by overloading/reimplementing virtual methods or
extending/tailoring the API for the specific requirements of the
project. Any larger project I have seen implements such widget libraries.

>  Just make it really hard so it is not the obvious choice :)

Even if meant ironic: when you believe in a new technology let it compete by making it possible to co-exist.

Uwe