[Development] qLog wildcards categories

David Laing david.laing at nokia.com
Thu Mar 1 06:35:44 CET 2012

Hi,

> I need to have a vote on a implementation detail regarding filtering of wildcards categories.
> Let's say you have a category defined and a wildcard category as well.
> A: Do you think the order in the configuration file plays an important rule or
> B: If you set specific a category let's say com.Nokia.whatever the wildcard category will be ignored for this specific category

I would prefer having the rules applied in order of most specific
category information to least specific category information.

There are 6 possible orders of
   a.* = false
   a.b.* = true
   a.b.c.* = false
and if the sequence matters only 1 of those ordering represents what I
think the above should do.

(I think it should log all messages that are in category a.b but not in
category a.b.c, and none of the rest of the messages in category a)

Having the specificity matter feels a lot more declarative to me -
having to write a log config file with sequential processing in mind
seems wrong to me somehow.

Also - with sequential processing you could argue that this is fine:
   a.b = true
   a.c = false
   a.b = false
which seems pretty horrendous to me.

If the choices are based on the specificity of the rule then the above
represents a logic inconsistency and can be flagged as such.

Cheers,

Dave