[Development] [Releasing] Qt 4.8.1 open source release date approaching..

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com
Fri Mar 9 20:54:51 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:16:24PM +0000, ext shane.kearns at accenture.com wrote:

> (rc1)-o-o-o-o-o-o-fix-o-o-o-o-o-o-fix
>      \
>       fix(rc2)-fix(v4.8.1)

this is no option, because it "loses" the tag from the history.
"traditionally" we have merged back the release branch to the
maintenance branch (and thus to master), which means that we have all
those cherry-picks twice in the history. try to read *that*.
therefore the only clean options are either a) just don't create a
branch or b) if you create a branch, then apply any fixes which are
supposed to be in it *only* to that branch, so it can be cleanly
forward-merged.

> It was pointed out that branches in git are cheap,

"branches are cheap" is a bogus argument to start with. it's always the
merging that incurrs the cost (on the human side. technically broken
scms are not worth mentioning).