[Development] When to remove old platform plugins?

Eric Wong eric.yy.wong at hotmail.com.hk
Mon Mar 12 15:35:35 CET 2012

Dear all,

On Friday, March 09, 2012 04:21 AM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the alpha is getting closer and we still have some QPA platform plugins that
> don't compile and I wonder what we should do with them? Polish and remove for
> Qt5 Alpha, leave it in and hope someone will pick them up?
>
> My list is:
> 	- kms
> 	- linuxfb
> 	- openkode
> 	- openvglite
> 	- openwfd
> 	- qvfb
> 	- uikit
> 	- vnc
>
> kms:
> Certainly a 'cool' plugin but is anyone using it? A platform that has KMS and
> Mesa can certainly support Wayland.
>
> linuxfb:
> Show case of Qt5/QWidgets in a single process environment?

Please consider to keep linuxfb platform plugin. There are still
many devices(e.g ARM9) that have no graphics accelerations at all
and there is only single process environment.

I think it makes no sense to use eglfs/opengl which use software
rendering as backend on these devices.

I know we can use directfb or maybe wayland(there are wayland
fbdev patches floating around) but fbdev is so slim and simple.

Most embedded system vendors do not deliver KMS driver, fbdev is still
de facto standard in low end devices at the moment.

I am looking forward to using QT5 and QPA with linux framebuffer support.

Thanks!

Eric