[Development] Breaking up QtPlatformSupport

Jørgen Lind jorgen.lind at nokia.com
Tue Mar 13 08:06:41 CET 2012

> > We can talk about making it into a nicer API in a future version of Qt, but
> > for Qt 5, we should keep it as it is.
>
> Understood. I'm not against out-of-qtbase plugins. I am against forcing them
> to use private and changing API like QtPlatformSupport.

Ah, now I see. This is where the missmatch is. QPA is by definition
private apis that might change. It will stay like that for Qt 5. Maybe
for Qt 6 we'r so confident that we might lock it down.

Normally I define it like so:
There is absolutely no abi, what so ever. You cant expect to take a
plugin built with one sha, to be built with another sha... So 5.0
plugins will not work with 5.0.1 plugins.

There is also no API guarantee. That means we won't break api just
because we like to, but it also means it CAN change.

Jørgen