[Development] [Releasing] Qt 4.8.1 release during week 11/2012

Turunen Tuukka Tuukka.Turunen at digia.com
Thu Mar 15 08:50:52 CET 2012

On 5.3.2012 18.21, "Oswald Buddenhagen" <oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 03:24:04PM +0000, ext Salovaara Akseli wrote:
>> At the moment we are following content of
>> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/commits/4.8 branch on our internal
>> repository. We would like to provide Qt 4.8.1 branch on
>> Gitorious\Gerrit in order to enable you more visibility for the
>> progress & content. Could Gitorious\Gerrit administrators enable such
>> branch and later tag final 4.8.1 release?
>>
>i understand that this is the commercial qt release with additional
>patches not sanctioned by the qt project (yet). i can only repeat my
>offer from the last time: we create a 4.8.1-digia branch you can push
>your stuff into and put a v4.8.1-digia tag on.

No, this is intended to be the open-source 4.8.1 release by the Qt Project.

For us it is fine if someone else does the releases, but since about
no-one seems to care making patch release out of 4.8 we have stepped up
and offered to create the releases.

For Qt Commercial viewpoint it is easier for us to base our releases on
patch releases from Qt Project. It gets hard eventually if we would
continue releasing commercial only patch releases on top of 4.8.0. And I
am sure there are also open-source users who wish to get patch releases
for 4.8.

Yes, there is already some amount of patches out after the proposed 4.8.1.
>From our viewpoint they should go into 4.8.2.

If needed, of course we can rebase 4.8.1 and redo the testing, but it is
already a release with a large number of fixes.

It is the decision of the Qt Project what we want to do about releases. I
would like to have 4.8.1 released, and Digia is ready to help also with
the subsequent releases. If others are also interested in making the
releases, great.

>you still have all rights necessary to push refs/heads/4.7-digia and
>refs/tags/v4.7.5-digia if you finally decide to actually do so. i
>suggest you do that and then we see about 4.8. i'm on irc if you have
>questions about the execution.

Regarding 4.7.5 we have created the open-source installers ages ago, but
since there is no place for Qt Project to distribute the releases at the
moment, they are not out. We wanted that the installers and code for 4.7.5
are released at the same time, but since there did not seem to be interest
in the community to do that, we have not been pushing.

Source code of 4.7.5 open-source is available at
https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/digia-qt/commits/4.7.5 - and we do have the
open-source installers ready if those are needed. There just needs to be a
location where these can be placed.

I can understand the lack of interest for 4.7.5, but 4.8.1 is a different
case. It gets really ugly if Qt Project does not make any patch releases
out of 4.8.

Yours,

		Tuukka