[Development] Qt 5 and old versions of XCB

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Mar 18 01:53:10 CET 2012

On domingo, 18 de março de 2012 11.43.02, Craig.Scott at csiro.au wrote:
> That's fine when you are only building an application to run on your
> machine, but for people who want to distribute Qt5 apps, this would be an
> undesirable solution. You'd end up having to ship the xcb libraries as well
> as those libraries xcb depends on as part of your package.

I'm sorry, but we can't keep supporting very old systems. By the time of the
release, OpenSUSE 11.1 will be 18 months old or older.

> I asked about xcb on the LSB mailing list and early responses suggest that
> although xcb has been mentioned there before, it doesn't sound like it's
> progressed much beyond that. Dropping support for xlib and relying on xcb
> would thus make Qt5 a non-starter for some people.

No one is working on xlib and it's not a reference platform. XCB is and it's
been around for years.

The fact that the LSB is stuck in time is not a reason to hold Qt back from
important technology. I think it's important we do the opposite: help LSB 5.0.