[Development] Qt 5 and old versions of XCB

Craig.Scott at csiro.au Craig.Scott at csiro.au
Sun Mar 18 02:12:50 CET 2012

On 18/03/2012, at 12:03 PM, Robin Burchell wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM,  <Craig.Scott at csiro.au> wrote:
>> I asked about xcb on the LSB mailing list and early responses suggest that although xcb has been mentioned there before, it doesn't sound like it's progressed much beyond that. Dropping support for xlib and relying on xcb would thus make Qt5 a non-starter for some people.
>
> then the LSB had better start taking a closer look, given that xcb is
> a build-dependency for xlib, as of 2010
> (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/commit/?id=15e5eaf62)

It doesn't work that way. The LSB only specifies what interfaces must be present. It's okay for those things to rely on other things that the system supplies. If xlib builds on xcb, that doesn't require xcb to be part of the LSB. It just means that client code can only call xlib API's but not xcb API's if it wants to be LSB-compliant.

--
Dr Craig Scott
Computational Software Engineering Team Leader, CSIRO (CMIS)