[Development] Removal of xlib plugin - a possible disaster.

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Mar 20 08:31:33 CET 2012

On terça-feira, 20 de março de 2012 07.21.37, jiang.jiang at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi Thiago,
>
> On Mar 19, 2012, at 9:50 PM, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >> That started happening sometime between 17 Feb. and now, FWIW; I
> >> suspect it's quite recent.  At least the default font choice has
> >> gotten better.
> >
> > It's a horrible choice now. Creator uses by default the font "Monospace"
> > in Qt 4.x. For whatever reason, in Qt 5 that font (an alias) is not
> > present.
> It should just work. In Qt 5 we do have the logic to use fontconfig to
> convert aliases like "Monospace" into actual fonts mapped into your system,
> like "Courier". I will try it with a recent xcb build now.

That's the point: I don't want it to convert. I want to configure my system to
use "Monospace" and let fontconfig decide which font that is. If I were to
change my fontconfig settings, the applications should change too.

More importantly: I don't think the conversion is working properly. The system
default is "Monospace", which is mapped to "DejaVu Mono", but on first start
Creator showed with a very different font and really hard to read.