[Development] Issues with cross-compilation

Pierre Vorhagen pvorhagen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:37:30 CET 2012

Hi,

first of all, thank you all for your detailed responses.

2012/3/22 Jon Trulson <jon at radscan.com>:
> I too do daily corss-compiles on arm with qt5.  I have only seen the
> problem you describe when I set QMAKESPEC to the arm mkspec I use.  I
> would recommend not using that at all for a cross compile.  You should
> not need it.

I do not usually set QMAKESPEC. But the error might be in other env.
variables, as described below.

2012/3/23 Girish Ramakrishnan <girish at forwardbias.in>
> I cross compile Qt5 here all the time and haven't faced this problem.
> What is your configure line and can you post your mkspecs? Do you set
> CC, CXX and other env variables to point to the cross-compiler instead
> of the host compiler (don't, because configure supports it!) ?

In fact, yes. I do set CC, CPP, CXX and similar environment variables.
That sounds like it's linked, I'll try it out on monday, as I am out
of office today. Good tip.

> Yes, the whole thing doesn't work. This will be fixed by someone soon
> (I know atleast Ossi is working on this). What I do is to actually
> install somewhere locally /home/girish/install for example. After
> that, I actually, install the whole thing in /home/girish/install on
> the target :P. If you don't like that, install to /home/girish/install
> on your host and use a qt.conf in your target.

Ok , glad to hear that I'm not the only one having issues with this. :)
I like to keep things clean on the target, so I'll just stick with the
"release -prefix" option for now.

> By hardfloat config test, do you mean the test I introduced in
> 0b1bc97509c34881b1ee2f3bc7283a5772be9a44 ? If you have that change,
> qtjsbackend should automatically detect whether your compiler is
> building with hard float enabled. The test requires readelf from
> binutils. Do you have readelf installed? If yes, what is the output of
> "readelf -A hardfloat | grep -q \'Tag_ABI_VFP_args: VFP registers\'"
> (where hardfloat is the binary generated by xcompiling
> config.tests/hardfloat/)

Thanks for the info, I had double-checked that yesterday in fact. But
as I said, I had the feeling this one needed more investigating on my
part. It turns out that I was using a slightly different toolchain,
that I built myself, when I last noticed it to pass, a couple of weeks
ago. Currently, I am using the one provided by the distributor, and I
only later realized that they must not have enabled it.

I wish you a good WE. (and sunny if it's like here)
Regards,
Pierre