[Development] Creating branches for our modules

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Thu Nov 1 10:16:23 CET 2012

Hi,

I guess most of you remember the discussion about branches some weeks ago (see http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-September/006691.html). So far we haven't created these branches, because the CI system wouldn't have been able to handle the load (because of it running with 50% capacity).

It now looks like we'll have enough capacity in place to handle this sometime next week. As soon as that is the case, we'll start creating the branches starting off with qtbase, and then step by step adding all of the Qt Essential modules.

Once we have the branches, we'll need to be rather strict about what goes into the stable branch, so that we have a chance to get Qt 5.0 out before the end of this year. I'd propose that we make it a policy that no change goes in there unless it has a Jira task associated with it that's marked for 5.0, or one of the maintainers explicitly agrees to it.

Cheers,
Lars