[Development] Pending decisions on co-installation

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Nov 1 21:37:32 CET 2012

On quinta-feira, 1 de novembro de 2012 13.12.14, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > the question is only whether we go the whole nine yards or stop halfway
> > through. if we stop, the configure command line will be -prefix /usr
> > -bindir /usr/lib/$arch/qt5/bin, which isn't exactly the pinnacle of
> > beauty. but then, -archlibdir needs adjustment anyway.
>
> Are these the three possibilities you're thinking of?
>
> a) we don't do the symlinks in /usr/bin:
>         configure -prefix %{_libdir}/qt5 -libdir %{_libdir} -docdir
> %{_docdir} \ -translationsdir %{_datadir}/qt5/translations \
>                 -nomake examples -nomake tests
>         make
>         make install
>         cd %{_libdir}/qt5/bin
>         for f in *; do
>                 test "$f" = "toolwrapper" && continue
>                 ln -s %{_libdir}/qt5/bin/toolwrapper %{_bindir}
>         done
>
> b) we do manage /usr/bin, but archdatadir and datadir defaults are
> inadequate: configure -prefix /usr  -datadir %{_datadir}/qt5 -archdatadir \
> %{_libdir}/qt5 -nomake examples -nomake tests
>         make
>         make install
>
> c) we do manage /usr/bin and the defaults are adequate:
>         configure -prefix /usr -nomake examples -nomake tests
>         make
>         make install
>
> I do realise that the current order of the patches leads to options a and c
> only. I need to split the patch that adds archdatadir so that option b is
> opened up and we can apply the Qml2ImportsPath patch.

I see a fourth option too, which is a variant of a:

a-bis) archdatadir exists, but its default is inadequate
	configure -prefix /usr -bindir %{_libdir}/qt5/bin -datadir %{_datadir}/qt5
\
		-archdatadir %{_libdir}/qt5 -nomake examples -nomake tests
	[same as a-original]

a-ter) archdatadir exists and its default is adequate, but we still don't
manage symlinks:
	configure -prefix /usr -bindir %{_libdir}/qt5/bin \
		-nomake examples -nomake tests
	[same as a-orginal]

Considering you've agreed to adding archdatadir, let's discard the a-original
option. We have then four options due to having two decisions: the defaults
for archdatadir and datadir, and the managing of symlinks or not.