[Development] Heads up for Windows devs: ANGLE landing soon

Stephen Chu stephen at ju-ju.com
Fri Nov 2 15:01:03 CET 2012

On 11/2/12 4:19 AM, Koehne Kai wrote:
> [...]
>>> Jason
>>>

>> I tried to build Qt 5 from git with mingw and ended up with this error:
>>
>> Project ERROR: Cannot determine DirectX SDK location. Please set
>> DXSDK_DIR environment variable.
>>
>> I thought a copy of angle library is included? Or do we need to install DirectX
>> SDK from now on?
>
> ANGLE is based on the DirectX SDK. While Mingw-w64 ships the appropriate headers, it's apparently missing the runtime library (d3dcompiler AFAIR) and the fxc.exe effect compiler from the Direct X SDK, used at compile time. So yes, right now you've to either install a Direct X SDK, or pass -opengl desktop .
>
> (I'm also worried that these dependencies break crosscompiling... we should really consider including pre-generated files here instead of relying on fxc.exe being available at compile time).
>
> Regards
>
> Kai

Thanks. I will try -opengl desktop since I don't use opengl in my
Windows projects.

But which DirectX SDK version is required? I have Windows SDK 7.1
installed but it doesn't seem to have those files you mentioned. I
downloaded DirectX SDK (June 2010) and it failed to install on my
Windows 7 X64 box.