[Development] Common base class for all socket types

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Tue Nov 6 10:33:07 CET 2012

Op 6-11-2012 10:26, d3fault schreef:
> "a common base class is an interesting idea. But it’s a moot point
> since we have to maintain binary compatibility until Qt 5. So
> QAbstractSocket cannot change. We’ll revisit the issue when Qt 5
> development starts, but that’s a long way in the future". (
> http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2008/02/22/qlocalserver-qlocalsocket/#comment-1820
> )
>
> "It won't happen for Qt 5. It's way too late for that". (
> http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-November/007746.html
> )

So, something that was on the list of interesting ideas for 5.0 did not
get done. So what? There is a long list of ideas that did not make it to
5.0, simply because nobody bothered to do the work on time, it slipped
between the cracks, or whatever other reason there might be. There have
been plenty of warnings of when the development window for 5.0 would
close, and it even has been re-opened a for a few features that were
already in progress. But now really is the time to stabilize 5.0, not to
introduce new stuff. The window is closed.

André