[Development] Proposal: New list of Qt 5 reference / Tier 1 platforms

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 6 22:02:07 CET 2012

On terça-feira, 6 de novembro de 2012 16.08.06, Koehne Kai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The list of reference & Tier 1 platforms at
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5#Platforms is somewhat out of date ... Here
> is a new proposal
>
> Reference Platforms:
>
> We have the following platform configurations as reference platforms for Qt
> 5.0:
>
> PLATFORM                      CONFIGURATION
> COMPILER linux-x86-32-gcc-x11          Ubuntu Linux 11.10 ×86 32 bit, X11
>      as provided linux-x86-64-gcc-x11          Ubuntu Linux 11.10 ×86 64
> bit, X11        as provided windows-7-32-msvc2010-angle   Microsoft Windows
> 7 32 bit, ANGLE         MSVC2010-SP1 32-bit osx-10.7-64
> Apple Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" Cocoa 64 bit   as provided

The above looks fine. I'd just like to be clear that the reference platforms
are, generically:
 - Windows
 - Mac OS X
 - Linux (Wayland and X11)

and that you're just being specific of what that means at this particular point
in time.

> Tier 1 platforms:

> Remarks:
>
> Before you shoot, check
> http://qt-project.org/groups/qt-contributors-summit-2011/wiki/Qt5ProductDef
> inition#4582cf86974b397c8f3a2ed2fd502f8c to see what we agreed upon back
> then what the requirements of a 'reference platform' and 'Tier 1 platform'
> are, specifically  that they are in tested by the CI system, and are
> available as alpha, beta, final packages.

Like above, generically speaking, tier 1 platforms are those that participate
in the release process, providing a good, usable release and, in addition,
have a team that commits to supporting it for a certain period of time.

Your list of criteria above is a good declination and a goal that we should
strive for. However, since right now no external platform can integrate with
the CI, I don't think it's fair to require it. So we should be able to list
certain platforms as Tier 1, provided they meet the other quality criteria,
even if they aren't in the CI.

Specifically, I'm thinking of QNX and, in turn, wondering if the team behind it
is committed to the quality effort to Tier 1 in 5.0.