[Development] Another method of registering QML types

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 20:02:23 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Olivier Goffart <olivier at woboq.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 November 2012 09:57:05 Alan Alpert wrote:
>> Currently, there is no way to register QML files as types from C++.
>> This is the exact same functionality that qmldir provides, but I think
>> there are situations where you'll want to do this progamatically
>> instead of with a qmldir file. There is a very specific example I have
>> in mind: Platform Components.
>>
>> I'm suggesting another qmlRegisterTypes function, one that takes a URL
>> instead of a C++ type:
>>
>> qmlRegisterType(const char* url, const char *uri, int versionMajor,
>> int versionMinor, const char *qmlName).
>
> Paths should be QString.
> We support unicode paths.
>
> [...]
>> Since this is adding to public API, I have a bigger question. Where
>> does this change go? I did the PoC in Qt 4.8 because it was easier, is
>> there a branch for 4.9/master that I didn't see in the 4.x series? Or
>> does that no longer get functionality additions, and this should be
>> going into 5.x only?
>
> This is going to be 5.1,  as 5.0 is already frozen.
> And yes, there is no plans for 4.9, and even if there was, commits need to go
> to Qt5 first.

I know commits go to Qt5 first, but with the issue of QtQuick there's
different implementations for QtQuick 1 and QtQuick 2. I don't think
it's a good idea for QtQuick 1 (Qt 5) to gain new features that are
withheld from QtQuick 1 (Qt 4), so if the feature is too big to add to
Qt 4.x, then it should just skip QtQuick 1. Which is not too appealing
until Qt 5 is out and QtQuick 2 is actually in use.

--
Alan Alpert