[Development] Another method of registering QML types

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 00:58:06 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

> From: Alan Alpert <416365416c at gmail.com>
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM, BRM <bm_witness at yahoo.com> wrote:

As I said, i have not had the chance to play with QML. So if what I said is already supported great!

Now, in my hypothetical case, I was planning on storing the dialog description probably as text within the server somehow. I never got to those details;
but the server I have does not present a normal URL style interface - that is, it's not an http server but a specific application server with a proprietary XML protocol;
so a client application would have to request the data and receive a big XML blob with the QML-based dialog and then somehow load it - thus it would be nice to be able to detect any imports not loaded so that it would be able to retrieve and load them.

Any how...that is just a hypothetical, but one that may be very useful to consider if people are not doing that already. If I had the time, I'd probably invest more into QML and do just I described; but I'd still have to figure out the server-side storage and transport issues for my server. (A web server is not an option; though if sftp is support, that would be.) Any how...enough dreaming...

>>  [1] Yes, I realize that it would enable some on-the-fly stuff that might
> generate some security concerns. I would suggest that be documented so that
> users know they have to load appropriately trusted materials if we did that.
> They could just as easily write it to a temp file and load the temp file using
> the regular API too.
>
> That is the current alternative. You can do the exact same thing by
> writing out a temporary qmldir file to disk - it's just that I think
> that approach is horrible and unnecessary. (This is actually more of a
> security risk, because you could be overwriting the qmldir files for
> other imports, like "." ).

True - though I was thinking the application would just store it in say /tmp or /tmp/<user>.<application> and configure Qt to be able to use that dir as well for QML - e.g. something the application controlled, not Qt.

$0.02

Ben