[Development] QT5 Beta 1 & Android

Walter Horsten walter.horsten at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:08:11 CET 2012

Hi Eskil, Shawn,

Eskil, I use CMake scripts (part of a larger build framework that I developed) for most of the tooling: generating the manifest etc and the java wrapper activity .

Shawn, Indeed I started from scratch. I minimized the use of JNI calls as much as possible, which probably does mean that a recent NDK is necessary. There still is some JNI code needed though (the NDK functions for the soft keyboard don't seem to work?, creating intents etc ) and I need a wrapper activity in Java to load the shared libraries and deploy plugins somewhere where Qt can find them. More details of the implementation can be found in the pdf file in the tarball in attachment.

I have some scripts set up that make it quite easy for me to cross compile libraries, for now however I've just configured a "basic qt" (without webkit and without openssl - the latter because I compile it statically and something seems to go wrong in the qt buildprocess when I use --openssl-linked), because I didn't want to spend too much time on the actual building process. The modules that I focused on are qtcore, qt3d and qtdeclarative (and their dependencies).
The widgets library compiles but I have not done any work to integrate anything like the native widgets on the desktop platforms.

These are the patches that I've made against qt-everywhere-opensource-5.0.0-beta1.tar.gz and a build script, maybe some of it is useful to the Qt project. Feel free to experiment with them, if you would like to integrate them in Qt5 I don't mind as long as I get the proper credit :-).