[Development] Poor performance viewing a video stream

Dmytro Poplavskiy dmytro.poplavskiy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 10:32:58 CET 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Carlo A. Scarpato
<carlo.scarpato at selcomsrl.eu> wrote:
> Hi all
> i’m trying to realize a video player for ip cameras with QT5. I have
> modified the examples in qt5-beta-2 source, to open the stream from
> cameras, but i noticed very low perfomance comparated to the same
> request made with vlc (on my PC Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz 94%cpu vs
> 25%cpu via top). This with videographicsitem and customvideoitem
> example. better with video example where the cpu il about 50% anyway
> higher than vlc. There is a way to improve performance or do better this
> work? I notice the with qt4 and phonon the performance was better.

customvideoitem example is expected to be slow, it's more an example
of how to implement your own rendering and/or extract video frames.

It may be useful to try playing video stream with gstreamer only
gst-launch-0.10 playbin2 uri=file://<path>
and qmlvideo examples.

The played example also does some extra processing to display histogram/etc,
this could explain the performance difference,
but otherwise it should be close to gstreamer only player.

Regards
  Dmytro.