[Development] QML Tooling Renames (was: Pending decisions on co-installation)

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Wed Nov 21 09:13:45 CET 2012

On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:34 AM, Samuel Rødal <samuel.rodal at digia.com>
 wrote:

>>> I am quite against the renaming of binaries.
>>> Does qml2scene mean that there is an equivalent qml1scene?
>>> what is the difference between qmlviewer in qt 4.8 and qt 5.0 that a renaming is necessary?
>>
>> Differences between qmlviewer and qmlscene
>> qmlviewer only:
>> -Renders QtQuick 1 scenes.
>> -Has some built in testing functionality
>> -Has some additional development UI (logger window, screen shots, and such)
>> qmlscene only:
>> -Renders QtQuick 2 scenes.
>>
>> If the names are left as they are, it's not entirely clear which to
>> use in your development. qml1viewer for qml1 and qml2scene for qml2
>> makes this fairly clear.
>
> One core difference is that qmlviewer uses QDeclarativeView and qmlscene
> uses the scene graph. I presume that if we did a QtQuick 3.0 it might
> still use the scene graph, and thus we'd still use qmlscene to run
> QtQuick 3.0 applications. Or do we want to end up with qml3scene,
> qml4scene, etc?

> Or, is the versioning of QML, the language, completely decoupled from
> the versioning of QtQuick, the set of basic components and enablers for
> UI development? If so I guess it makes sense that qml2scene could still
> run QtQuick 3.0 applications if that would still use version 2 of QML.
> We're not very explicit about the language versioning in code nor in
> documentation though.

A valid question. qmlscene is linking to both QtQml and QtQuick, so it's bound to the version of both libs.

I wonder if we gain a lot by doing this numbering. Does it make things clearer to developers, esp. now that the Quick1 lib is called QtDeclarative again, and Quick2 is QtQml and QtQuick?

Cheers,
Lars