[Development] QRE: QML Tooling Renames (was: Pending decisions on co-installation)

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 18:42:03 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Thomas Senyk
<thomas.senyk at pelagicore.com> wrote:
> On Wed, November 21, 2012 07:59:54 AM Koehne Kai wrote:

It actually is, although not to a great extent. Like the QtQuick 1 ->
QtQuick 2 change you can just change the names a bit (load with
QQmlEngine instead of QDeclarativeEngine) and it should just work, but
there are some improvements (like QtQuick 1 -> QtQuick 2), listed in
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtquick2-qtqml-releasenotes.html. The
one I want to publicize is the deprecation of the property variant
type in favor of property var, which does what everyone seemed to
think property variant did ;) .

Of course the distinction between QtQuick developers and QtQml
developers hasn't really developed yet, and these tools are for
assisting QtQuick development only. Once QML development picks up, we
can just make it a third option from the 'creator template' sort of
perspective. So while I agree with the direction Qt Creator is taking
its terminology, that's just user convenience not the technical
correct terms. qmlviewer and qmlscene technically load different
versions of the QML language, which is why qml1viewer and
qml2(viewer|scene) is my preference.

--
Alan Alpert