[Development] Frameworks on Mac?

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at kdab.com
Thu Nov 22 21:53:53 CET 2012

On Nov 22, 2012, at 1:44 PM, Rutledge Shawn wrote:

> Well if our binary compatibility guarantee is true, then what conflicts do we worry about?  If an app depends on new features which were added in a point-release, then it will not work with an older Qt, but an application which was shipped with the older version ought to work just as well with the newer one.

That's the theory. In practice, there are always bugs, regressions, behavioral changes. Shipping your own Qt isolates you from all those issues.

>   On Windows and Linux we depend on that, right?

Definitely not on Windows. On Windows, you also ship your own set of Qt DLLs when deploying software to end users, installing them in the folder of your application, not system-wide. So that's quite similar to OS X.
On Linux, you only get the goodies when providing proper distribution packages of your software. And don't tell me deploying for and then supporting all major Linux distributions is less an headache than building a Windows installer or a .dmg for OS X…

More importantly, let me quote the Mac App Store guidelines [1] (needs developer ID to access):

"2.14 Apps must be packaged and submitted using Apple's packaging technologies included in Xcode - no third party installers allowed"

"2.15 Apps must be self-contained, single application installation bundles, and cannot install code or resources in shared locations"

To be accepted on Mac, your application must install, look like and behave like a Mac application. People will want to distribute their application via the app store.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do - everything else is futile here to me.

[1] https://developer.apple.com/appstore/mac/resources/approval/guidelines.html

--
Frank Osterfeld | frank.osterfeld at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ)  +46-563-540090