[Development] Qt Playground - Updating Daemon/Service Support

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 15:59:23 CET 2012

I am following up to some e-mails I sent on the feedback/interests/dev lists[1] and blogs[2] over a year ago for updating the QtService Component.

I would like to open a new Qt Playground project to create a new equivalent for Qt5 that is more natively integrated.

Synopsis: QtService Component has not been updated since Qt 4.5. It is template based and has several drawbacks - (i) no signals/slots, and (ii) it hard terminates programs keeping them from being able to control shutdown or do cleanup during shutdown. I had proposed a new API to be in parallel to QCoreApplication/QApplication to support the daemon-service applications. Initial support will be equivalent of the current QtService component but using native classes instead of templates, and with a modular backend component that could later be used to add support for other service APIs - e.g. systemd - for seamless integration with different OS-level API for managing services.

Initial Goal is support for Qt5.

Ben

[1] Some of the e-mail threads:
http://lists.qt.nokia.com/public/qt5-feedback/2011-June/000449.html
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.qt5-feedback/76

[2] Some of my thoughts in blog from then:
http://clocksmind.blogspot.com/2011/05/calling-contributors.html
http://clocksmind.blogspot.com/2011/06/qt5-major-update-for-qtservice.html
http://clocksmind.blogspot.com/2011/09/qt5-introducing-qdaemonapplication.html