[Development] Branching 5.0

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Fri Nov 30 09:14:10 CET 2012

On Nov 30, 2012, at 6:38 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org<mailto:lpapp at kde.org>> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Knoll Lars <Lars.Knoll at digia.com<mailto:Lars.Knoll at digia.com>> wrote:
I know that branch naming is a possible topic for endless bike shedding. You can always find arguments against a certain name here. In the end it's not the most important thing whether it's called testing or stable. It's the meaning that we as a community associate with the branch name that's important.

In my opinion, d3fault now raised a valid concern from usability point of view this time.

But to shorten this: We've had that discussion a couple of months ago, and the names mentioned are the ones we in the end agreed to. let's stick to these. I won't re-open that discussion again.

As I have seen, there was no common agreement in the thread [1], and you have not posted any Chief maintainer decision either right in there. Please you could close a thread next time with your decision in such cases right in there? Really, I had the belief for this reason up to now that there was no accepted solution.

Sorry, I'll make that clearer in the future. The post from Thiago was the result of a longer face to face discussion with myself and quite a few people involved. The ML discussion afterwards didn't bring (IMO) anything new to the table, so for me that implicitly meant sticking to the proposed name.

We have been discussing 'testing' as the name of the middle branch, but in the end agreed that stable is less confusing. Stable expresses what the branch is supposed to be. testing doesn't imply anything about the quality of the branch, and doesn't imply restrictions on the commit policy. Stable is our branch for a minor version, where we make several patch level releases from. Qt is not a Linux distribution, and we have a different process then they have with their testing repository.

So I still think the names proposed are good names, because they as closely as we could describe the content of the branch.

Cheers,
Lars