[Development] Branching 5.0

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Nov 30 12:43:19 CET 2012

> Sure he did, but in the context of naming a concern is easy to respond to
> with
> a counter argument. For example  it makes the other branches look like
> they're
> not subject to testing.

Perhaps, I was unclear. I think he raised a valid concern about the
"stable" name, but that does not mean I support "testing".

Now you'll stay but that's not true and come up with
> another counter argument, and so on and so on. This is the business of
> naming,
> and sometimes there's just no perfect naming.

I was now thinking of something like "release-candidate", but it seems to
be more than that, so perhaps a clear branch name would become long enough
(and hence inconvenient) to precisely to specify it. So, I agree unless
someone comes up with a good name (only for the future now). :)

> While I'm personally also not 100% happy with the chosen names, I think
> that
> they'll do the job just fine.

Yes, me neither, but the world has to move on now. :-)

> Please re-read what Lars wrote. I think he's right there.

I was at no any point looking from the Linux distributions angle as I do
not know how exactly Debian, Ubuntu or other disitributions work from this
point view. However, I have to accept and respect the decision taken
because I cannot come up with a precise name ether.

Laszlo