[Development] resolution independence (was Re: Retina display support)

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Tue Oct 2 13:58:40 CEST 2012

Samuel:

> Specifying that all characters must be 5mm in physical height is
> typically not what a UI wants in any case, since different types of
> displays (mobiles / tablets, computer monitors, and TVs) are typically
> viewed at different distances.

  In my world (medical devices), it's entirely *TYPICAL*
  that there will be specifications on the size of the
  text. Realistically, it may be a spec on the minimum
  size of the text (so that it is readable by the elderly)
  but we can't go bigger either because the text won't
  fit.

  And yes, our interface is a touch screen so buttons
  must also be specified in real physical sizes.

  In other words, we need a solution that lets us specify
  the actual rendered size of the text on the screen.

                                     Atlant