[Development] delete still leaks memory

Alex Malyushytskyy alexmalvtk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 01:23:13 CEST 2012

>> Why that's my favorite tool for detecting memory leaks of windows.. if the numbers keep growing you have a problem.

It does not detect leaks. It reports memory claimed by process.
So its usage is limited.
It is not useless, but you can't base memory leaks claims on the
information it provides.

Used memory can grow for different reasons due to memory fragmentation.
For example we have an application which loads about 1 GB of data in
multiple blocks of different size.
Due to user activity it may partially (cause do it in full is slow)
unload some data and load another.
I've seen memory grew to 1,5 GB after a number of such cycles ( it was
still growing and the only limit I can see is 2GB).
Code was seriously checked for memory leaks and tested in condition
where new memory allocations was avoided between data was loaded/fully
unloaded and re-loaded again memory did not grow.

Alex