[Development] Preparing to release repackaged version of Qt 4.8.3 with Digia copyrights

Rafael Roquetto rafael.roquetto at kdab.com
Thu Oct 4 13:39:13 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 06:27:58AM +0000, Turunen Tuukka wrote:

<snip/>

> Unfortunately release branches have not been used in the Qt Project - we
> have made all 4.8.x releases directly from the 4.8 branch. That is the
> root cause of many problems in releasing and an issue that will be
> addressed with the branching discussed in the mailing lists.

I understand it, and I agree this must be properly discussed before any
decisions are made. Nonetheless, I think right now we are facing a truly
excepcional case. I do not like exceptions (no pun intended), but in certain
cases there is nothing to be done to avoid them. This is one of these cases.
We need to change (C) headers, and cannot wait until the next "proper"
release. Fine. This is a very excepcional corner case. I think we have to be
flexible enough to be able to deal with such cases. If they become too
frequent, then we need to reasses, as you pointed out some people are already
doing, but for the time being, we need to try to do things right with what we
already have in place.

I see three critical things which must be released asap:

1. the (C) headers change
2. MingW patch.
3. d41dc3e101a694dec98d7bbb582d428d209e5401 - this is the SSL workaround from
Robin.

As already suggested, one way of doing this would be cherry-picking the
appropriate commits on the top of the 4.8.3 tag and tag it as 4.8.4. This
would be an exceptional branch for a very exceptional case. Since these
commits are already part of the 4.8 branch, I don't see how anything could be
messed up. How often do such exceptions arise? What is the probability of more
exceptions arising within the lifespan of the 4.8 series?

Kind regards,
Rafael

--
** Qt Developer Conference: http://qtconference.kdab.com/ **