[Development] Qt 5 file hierarchy

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Wed Oct 10 18:49:44 CEST 2012

On 21 Sep 2012, at 6:01 PM, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:

> 	pkgconfig/ - versioned .pc files
> 	qt5/ 		 - arch-specific support files:
> 		bin/ or libexec/
> 		 - executables not run by the user, like syncqt, lrelease, lupdate
> 		imports/
> 		 - QtDeclarative imports
> 		qml2/
> 		 - QML2 (including QtQuick2) arch-specific imports
> 		mkspecs/ ?
> share/	- arch-independent files
> 	qml2/	 - QML2 (including QtQuick2) arch-independent imports
> 	qt5/
> 		doc/
> 		examples/
> 		mkspecs/	?
>
> Note on imports: the design is flawed. It was flawed in Qt 4 and it's worse now
> on Qt 5. For Qt 4, the flaw was that it did not differentiate QML imports that
> were arch-independent from the ones that required plugins. With Qt 5, it
> becomes worse because Qt Quick 1 and 2 share the same directory.
>
> Instead, I recommend we immediately change QML2 to the system that Perl uses:
> put the arch-specific files inside the lib hierarchy, for which distributions
> have already solved the multiarch problem, but put arch-independent files in
> the share hierarchy.

That makes sense.  But having both lib/qt5/imports and lib/qt5/qml2 is confusing.

There's no problem to mix up .so and .qml files inside a "package" (Qt/labs/foopkg or MyCompany/mypackage), right?  The qmldir just has to list all the files.  (Which is conceptually redundant, but that's another topic.)

Or is the point just to separate QtQuick 1 and 2?  Why not rename imports to qml1 then?  Or call them quick1 and quick2 because it's a place to put Qt Quick packages, not just qml files.