[Development] QtNetwork: using system proxy by default

shane.kearns at accenture.com shane.kearns at accenture.com
Thu Oct 11 16:34:33 CEST 2012

> IMHO #4 gives the best out-of-the-box experience.
>
> Is there a way to do the blocking winapi call in a thread on app start-
> up maybe?

Doesn't help if the first thing an application wants to do is download something from the network.
It would only help because of the workaround we already have to disable WPAD if it fails (which is not ideal if you start an app at home, then take your laptop to work)

> How do other apps (i.e. Chrome) handle this without blocking the user
> experience?

Chrome doesn't use the windows API, they make a request to "http://wpad" and interpret the pac script themselves.
Firefox is slow to load pages, but UI is not blocked (which points to using the windows API in a thread)

WPAD is inherently spoofable, but the Chrome method is worse than the windows API, as you can't tell if the name came from DNS or multicast name resolution.
In any case, we don't have a javascript interpreter available at the QtNetwork level.

Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates including telephone calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of security and the assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.