[Development] Is overriding an existing virtual method 'BC' in Qt 4?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Oct 11 17:37:00 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:48:26AM +0000, Sorvig Morten wrote:
> [...] In general, I think this is something we'll see again. Platforms
> change under our feet and we need to adapt. Apple and Microsoft do not
> put OS updates on hold because we are working on a major release. The
> fact that Qt often "lags" platform releases is a major point against
> using Qt and something we must get better at. A sensible solution is,
> in my opinion, to allow feature and API development in Qt 4 when the
> platform maintainers find it necessary.

In case it matters, I fully agree.

Even with the goal to encourage people to move from Qt 4 to Qt 5,
backporting the "easy parts" makes sense to give them a kind of
stepping stone before they actually jump.

That is "_if_ they jump". A part of the audience seems to be quite
happy with 4.x nowadays. Forcing them to invest in an upgrade does
not sound overly prudent, and neither does anything that might be
interpreted as leaving them behind.

Maybe it's generally time to reconsider the set of existing goals.
Some of them are from a time when - let's put it politely - the
circumstances were different. I would be surprised if an honest
re-evaluation today would lead to the same priorities as a it did
only a couple of months ago.

Andre'

PS: Before the shouting starts: I am all for getting Qt 5 out as
soon as possible. I am _only_ saying that alienating Qt 4 users
makes no sense. Not now, and very likely not for quite a while.
Existing users are a benefit, not a burden.