[Development] Moving QtMobility to qt-project.org

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at kdab.com
Mon Oct 15 10:24:39 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'd like to propose to move QtMobility to the qt-project.org.

The main reason I am proposing this is that we (RIM + KDAB) right now have a
fork of QtMobility living on Gitorious [1]. This fork contains backends for
sensors and multimedia for the new BB10 mobile OS, and will likely gain
support for NFC and Bluetooth as well. It contains some API additions too.
In addition to BB10, the Mer project also has patches for QtMobility [2], and
the Android port has a backend [3]. Lorn Potter is working on backporting
sensor gestures to QtMobility [4].

As you can see, there is still interest in QtMobility. Having it on qt-
project.org would potentially reduce the number of forks and patches that are
around. At least we are committed to properly upstream all patches of the BB10
fork.

There are multiple advantages of making qt-project.org the home for
QtMobility. First of all, we'd gain a proper review process through Gerrit.
The docs would live on qt-project.org as well, which is naturally the first
place people look for documentation. Right now the documenation for the API
additions for BB10 are hard to find, for example. In general, getting rid of a
fork is almost always a good idea.

Any objections to this? How can we make this happen?

The first steps would be to set up Gerrit for QtMobility and make sure commits
to Gerrit end up on Gitorious.
After that, we'd upstream the BlackBerry backend and the new API via Gerrit
and get rid of the forked repository.

There is already documentation at [5]. Is that auto-generated from the
Gitorious repository automatically? If so, there is nothing to do in that
area, hopefully.

Eventually, we'd create a new 1.3 release with the BlackBerry backend and the
new API (or maybe a 2.0 release even).

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Thomas

[1] https://gitorious.org/+kdab-developers/qt-mobility/qnx-qt-mobility
[2] http://gitweb.merproject.org/gitweb?p=mer-core/qt-mobility.git;a=summary
[3] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=android-qt-mobility.git
[4] https://qt.gitorious.org/~lpotter/qt-mobility/lpotters-qt-
mobility/commit/2fd397a87e567dad8c48e2d7c1d35050a569d160
[5] http://doc.qt.digia.com/qtmobility/index.html

--
** Qt Developer Conference: http://qtconference.kdab.com/ **

Thomas McGuire | thomas.mcguire at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090